Friday, November 15, 2019

What did Jesus mean when He promised an abundant life?

SHORT ANSWER: Jesus mentions the “abundant life” in John 10: [10] The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. This abundant life begins the moment a person is born again.

Upon repentance and belief in the Gospel the Spirit of God comes to indwell the new believer. The Spirit of God causes our spirit man to be brought to life. This new life causes a complete change in ones' desires and attitude. The Spirit of God also brings into our lives the “fruit of the Spirit” that empowers us live a life that would be impossible in our own effort.

The new believer is now in God’s hands, and God promised to take care of our needs. In light of this promise Jesus calls us to a worry-free life. Therefore, I believe the abundant life is defined as, a life of total dependence on God that frees us from the stress of taking care of ourselves and allows us to serve him in a way that is not possible in our own power.

LONG ANSWER:
Focusing on the definition provided above in the ‘short answer’, let’s talk about submission and service.

FOCUS
Recently, we were discussing at a Bible Study how folks can serve better. One person stated that serving helps us focus on God, and takes our focus off ourselves. I thought to myself that this really hits at the heart of what it is to have an abundant life in Christ. If indeed, my life is not to be about me, then it must be about others (Romans 15:1, Philippians 2:3, etc).

Therefore, my life must needs be centered around serving. But how can I serve if I am bogged down in anxiety and worry? How can I serve if the only person I want to please is myself? Am I chasing submission to God, or getting more stuff?

See how this ties together? If I submit to God, and God takes care of me, then that frees me from ANY hindrance that would keep me from helping others. This indeed then allows his blessings to flow through me to others. This also leads into salvation and discipleship. As I help others, and others come to Christ, our example of this life then helps those also live this life and pass it on to others.

THE REAL ENEMY
Luke 12 [15] And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Matthew 24 [24] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

So what’s stopping me? ME! Scripture is very clear on who our biggest enemy is, that is, ourselves. No demon can stop you. If God is on our side, then who can stop us (Romans 8:37-39, 1 John 4:4, 5:4) ? So again, what is stopping me? There just isn’t any good excuse for being selfish, and not living the abundant life.

THE DIVIDING LINE
Now this subject is not without some controversy. Is this abundance in earthly riches only? Or in spiritual things alone? I believe the answer is not an either-or, but in fact a both-and. I believe the abundant life is rooted in the Spirit, and therefore in spiritual things first and foremost; however, this also produces fruit in the physical realm. An obedient life will lead to Gods blessing on our lives. This therefore will also involve physical blessings.

My concern is when the physical blessings become the focus. This again, puts the focus on self, and not being a servant. Focus on ‘naming and claiming’, ‘your best life now’, and such things have NOTHING to do with service, and a lot to do with pleasing self and the flesh. So where’s the divide? It lies within the focus. Am I focused on serving? Or using God-talk (attempting to manipulate God) to get what I want? Am I serving to please him? Or somehow get something out of this for myself? What is it that I am expecting in return?

FULL CONTEXT
Returning to John 10:10... full context is John 10:1-14. Please read it and meditate on it. Think upon all the things that lead up to his statement in verse 10.

Notice several things that lead to Jesus’ statement on the abundant life. Jesus is the only way we are to follow, and the only way to be saved. He is the only source we are to rely on (not worldly riches, gain, or world wisdom or psychology). Those that are truly His, will not follow a false shepherds. He gives His life for us, and the enemy seeks to take our lives from us. All these thoughts lead up to Jesus’ statement, “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly”.

Jesus is our life. He lived life the way it was meant to be lived. Jesus was a servant. Therefore the abundant life lies in submission to God and serving others. Notice this is just the opposite of what the world considers ‘abundant life’.

FINAL THOUGHT While writing this response, I felt very convicted myself. I now see even more areas I need to work on. I hope reading this has done the same for you. I really have no excuse for being anything less than God wants me to be; but it really is up to me.

God promised to supply, help, lead… but I have to ask, I have to want to. I have to make a willful decision to obey. Abundant life is waiting; however, God is not negotiating terms of our obedience or service. We are to submit wholly, and live holy, and then… and only then… we can experience this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Logos Bible Software for the Mac